*This position is being reposted. Previous applicants are still being considered and do not need to reapply*
This position is located in our Finance department and will perform highly complex professional accounting and financial tasks to account for federal funds allocated from the American Rescue Plan Act of 2021.
Examples of Duties
- Managing and overseeing the life cycle of the funds, determining whether proposed costs are allowable
- Maintaining detailed files supporting all approved projects and their expenditures and keeping them in accordance with the appropriate record retention schedule
- Monitoring and tracking costs, ensuring adherence to procurement standards as established by federal and state law as well as local policy
- Serving as the point of contact who will respond to all audit requests specific to the expenditure of these funds
- Assist in developing policies that address requirements of ARPA funds
- Collaborating with external and internal partners
- Filing periodic required reports with the US Treasury
- Creating transparent reporting for Cumberland County and its constituents
Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with a major in accounting, business or finance with a minimum of 30 hours of accounting and two (2) years of experience in a governmental fiscal operation; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
A formal transcript will be required. College transcripts may be submitted on-line via the attachment feature or mailed to Cumberland County Human Resources, 117 Dick St. Fayetteville, NC 28301.
Necessary additional requirements:
Successful completion of Basic Excel, Intermediate Excel, Basic Word and Intermediate Word tests will be required. Candidates selected as qualified will be contacted via email by a Human Resource representative for testing.
*Please make sure to check the email address provided on your application for correspondence in reference to your application. Some email servers may see correspondence as spam, so it is important to check your spam folder as well. All correspondence will also be viewable within your NeoGov inbox. When signed in, click on your name in the top right-hand corner and then inbox.
Negative drug screen and background check are required. Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of the methods, procedures and policies of Cumberland County as such pertains to the performance of the essential duties of the Finance Accountant position
- Knowledge of principles and practices of accounting work to include performing fund accounting activities and comprehensive financial reporting
- Knowledge of the County' s financial and systems to include chart of accounts
- Knowledge of the laws, ordinances, standards, and regulations pertaining to the essential duties and responsibilities of the position
- Knowledge of the organization of the department, and of related departments and agencies
- Ability to clearly understand the principles and practices of general accounting and financial management, qualitative and quantitative research and critical thinking and analysis
- Ability to remain current on best practices, trends and emerging technologies
- Ability to maintain cooperative and effective relationships with intra- and interdepartmental personnel, as well as any external entities with which position interacts