Burning Man is seeking a network specialist for our network team within Burning Man IT Operations. This role manages internet sites and helps with deployment, operation and support of the internet connectivity and network infrastructure in Black Rock City.
This position is a seasonal role, from August to September, located in and near Gerlach, NV.
DUTIES & ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Work directly, and closely with network team leadership
- Implement solutions to optimize network resources for all operations and infrastructure needs for event production, operation and restoration
- Participate in pre-event work sessions with the Network Team as necessary
- Participate in network installation, administration, in Gerlach and Black Rock City pre event, during operations, and tear-down.
- Interface with other technology teams, staff and project leads as necessary
- Participate in on-call schedule and troubleshooting duties for on-playa support, before, during and after the event
- Perform other duties as assigned.
The ideal candidate would meet all the qualifications listed below. However, the ability to learn quickly is more important that in-depth knowledge in all areas.
- Bachelor's Degree or equivalent; minimum of two years experience administering networks in a fast paced and dynamic environment.
- Strong project management skills
- Strong troubleshooting skills
- Intimate knowledge and understanding of IP networking, including:
IP network services (HTTP, SSH, DNS, DHCP, ping, etc.)
Experience with 802.11 Wireless Networking
Meaning and measurement of network performance characteristics such as bandwidth, throughput, latency, loss, and jitter, and relative sensitivity of common IP network services to each of these characteristics
Basic Internet topology and ISP connectivity concepts
DNS and DHCP management fundamentals
Firewall, NAT, VPN, and traffic shaping principles
Ethernet fundamentals, including VLANs, topologies, and cabling schemes
WiFi fundamentals, including channels, SSIDs, and security considerations
Some knowledge of dynamic routing (e.g. OSPF, BGP)
- Ability to install, configure, troubleshoot networking on Linux, Mac and Windows
- Proficient with setup, installation and troubleshooting of network equipment, ideally Ubiquiti
- Hands on experience with VoIP and VPNs
- Programming experience in Ruby, Python, Perl or shell
- Proficient with Unix/Linux
- Strong communication skills, with both technical and non-technical audiences
- Strong documentation skills
- Detail oriented, reliable and dependable
- Dedicated to providing uptime and quality service
- Comfortable juggling tasks and priorities
- Maintain high standards of confidentiality
- Knowledgeable of Burning Man and able to work in Nevada before, during and after the event
- Ability to work in an often dusty, hot environment.
- Able to meet deadlines and honor commitments
Note: If you have gained the necessary experience to succeed in this role and have acquired this experience in other ways, we encourage you to apply and share all relevant experience in your application.
Valid Driver’s License and a good driving record
- Support needed from early August through early September, 2018 in or around Gerlach and Black Rock City, NV.
- Some on call shifts will be required
- Shared lodging will be provided in Gerlach before and after the event
- Meals will be provided and shared with other work crews
LEARNING AND TEACHING
Documentation - Assists in the creation, publishing, and maintenance of process documentation related to their assigned duties.
Knowledge sharing – Helps acculturate and educate junior staff in Burning Man culture and business processes.
Training development - Collaborates with the education team to develop training materials in their area of expertise, as requested.
Learning – Pursues ongoing learning in their area of expertise, working to stay current on emergent knowledge, skills, and processes.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/WORK ENVIRONMENT
On-playa: Work is primarily sedentary but will also include the need to find and meet with department representatives who may not be in the vicinity therefore this could include walking or using some form of transportation. Some of the work will be in outside weather conditions and will be exposed to fumes or airborne particles as well as possible extremes in temperature.
NOTICE FOR ALL APPLICANTS:
Burning Man Project celebrates the importance of creating a diverse environment and enthusiastically encourages Black, Indigenous, Peoples of Color, LGBTQIA+, Immigrant, women, and people with disabilities, of all ages, to apply.
Burning Man Project provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Notice for Remote Opportunities: Burning Man Project is currently able to hire remote employees living/working in the following states: AZ, CA, CO, FL, ID, LA, MA, MI, MT, NC, NM, NV, NY, OR, TX, UT, WA, WI. Working hours for all positions are based in Pacific Time.